Investigators probing the 2007 Boca mall murders and abductions have pursued more than a dozen new leads this year – in addition to more than 20 fresh leads generated in 2018 – renewing hopes that some of South Florida’s most haunting crimes may yet be solved, Bronx Justice News has learned.
Joey’s note to dad Philip Hauser was discovered among a trove of previously unreported documents exclusively obtained by Bronx Justice News as part of its investigation into the mall attacks—records that are shedding new light on the still-unsolved crimes.
A trove of records obtained by Bronx Justice News is shedding new light on a series of unsolved 2007 murders and abductions, revealing previously unknown details about detectives’ pursuit of the killer or killers, the lives of the victims, and security lapses at Town Center at Boca Raton mall in the lead-up to the crimes.
The DOI probe, now officially underway, marks the first time a government agency has investigated the troubled courthouse on East 161st Street, which opened three years behind schedule, ran $100 million over budget, and spurred a host of lawsuits involving more than 30 parties, from architects and engineers to construction contractors and state agencies.
The state Dormitory Authority spent more than $400 million in taxpayer dollars to construct the Bronx Hall of Justice, but says it doesn’t know how much of that amount went toward building the property’s civic plaza—a sprawling, unused space that remains closed eleven years after its slated opening date.
In response to a Freedom of Information Law Request by Bronx Justice News, the state Dormitory Authority on Wednesday said it was still searching its records to determine how much taxpayer money it spent to construct the Bronx Hall of Justice—including its still-shuttered civic plaza.
New York taxpayers were bilked out of millions of dollars as part of a massive overbilling scheme involving the Bronx Hall of Justice—one of a host of missteps that led to over $100 million in cost overruns and years of litigation involving the project, Bronx Justice News has learned.
When former New York Attorney General and City Councilman G. Oliver Koppell first called for an investigation into the Bronx Hall of Justice in 2007, his pleas fell on deaf ears. Now, with a Department of Investigation probe looming, he says it’s about time the city get to the bottom of what went wrong.
After more than a decade of taxpayer waste and mismanagement at the Bronx Hall of Justice, Councilman Ritchie Torres’ announcement of an official investigative referral doubled as a stinging rebuke—not just of the government bureaucracies responsible for building and maintaining the troubled courthouse, but also of the oversight system that allowed its myriad problems to go unchecked.
Eleven years after the Bronx Hall of Justice opened its doors on East 161st St., the building’s sprawling “public courtyard” remains closed to the public. The unused space is costing taxpayers millions in maintenance and repair expenditures, and is unlikely to ever see public use unless an array of safety issues are addressed, a Bronx Justice News investigation found.