Police: 16-year-old Gang Member, Suspected of Shooting Into Crowd, In NYPD Custody

A young man, identified by the NYPD as Edgar Garcia, flees after firing three shots on a busy Concourse street. Photo credit: NYPD

CONCOURSE – A 16-year old gang member was taken into custody by NYPD detectives Friday, suspected of firing three shots on a street bustling with children and other bystanders, police said.

Bronx detectives believe Edgar Garcia is the gunman seen on a viral video opening fire on Gerard Avenue, sending several bystanders–including a frightened-looking little girl–running for cover, police said.

Garcia had been aiming for a 19-year-old man during the Feb. 22 shooting, which happened around 2 p.m. just as some children were coming home from school, police said.

The targeted teenager is affiliated with a rival gang, police said. Neither he nor anyone else was struck by the gunfire.

Charges against Garcia were pending Friday night, police said. He is seen running from the scene on the video, which was released by the NYPD and spurred scores of tips from the public, police said.

About Sasha Gonzales 73 Articles
Sasha Gonzales is a Contributing Writer for Bronx Justice News and a Kingsbridge resident. A native of the Bronx, Sasha is an academic researcher interested in the study of multi-generational poverty and income disparities. She is also an aspiring fine arts photographer and avid reader.

Be the first to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.


*