New York taxpayers were bilked out of millions of dollars as part of a massive overbilling scheme involving the Bronx Hall of Justice—one of a host of missteps that led to over $100 million in cost overruns and years of litigation involving the project, Bronx Justice News has learned.
When former New York Attorney General and City Councilman G. Oliver Koppell first called for an investigation into the Bronx Hall of Justice in 2007, his pleas fell on deaf ears. Now, with a Department of Investigation probe looming, he says it’s about time the city get to the bottom of what went wrong.
After more than a decade of taxpayer waste and mismanagement at the Bronx Hall of Justice, Councilman Ritchie Torres’ announcement of an official investigative referral doubled as a stinging rebuke—not just of the government bureaucracies responsible for building and maintaining the troubled courthouse, but also of the oversight system that allowed its myriad problems to go unchecked.
Responding to a Bronx Justice News investigation, City Councilman Richie Torres on Friday said he would make a referral to the Department of Investigation that triggers a probe into the Bronx Hall of Justice—a property plagued by years of government waste and delays.
The state Dormitory Authority this week declined to make public the amount of taxpayer funds spent to construct the troubled Bronx Hall of Justice, including expenditures on the building’s still-shuttered civic plaza and rooftop rock garden, following a Bronx Justice News investigation.
Christian Rodriguez, 25, was arraigned before Bronx Supreme Court Justice George Villegas, who ordered him held without bail. Previously, he’d been charged only with multiple counts of assault in the case.