Luis Diaz, who has served as Bronx County Clerk since 2009, is being investigated by the office of New York Attorney General Leticia James, authorities said.
Monday marks the 13th anniversary of the killing of Randi Gorenberg, whose disappearance from a posh Boca Raton mall and ensuing murder remain one of South Florida’s most vexing unsolved cases.
The Bronx Hall of Justice’s civic plaza is at last partially open to the public, after a Bronx Justice News investigation revealed years of financial waste and construction delays at the controversial site.
A 17-year-old prisoner at Horizon Juvenile Center in the Bronx was the victim of “serious” abuse and neglect at the hands of facility staff—mistreatment that city and state officials are keeping hidden from public scrutiny, a Bronx Justice News investigation found.
Investigators probing the 2007 Boca mall murders and abductions have pursued more than a dozen new leads this year – in addition to more than 20 fresh leads generated in 2018 – renewing hopes that some of South Florida’s most haunting crimes may yet be solved, Bronx Justice News has learned.
Joey’s note to dad Philip Hauser was discovered among a trove of previously unreported documents exclusively obtained by Bronx Justice News as part of its investigation into the mall attacks—records that are shedding new light on the still-unsolved crimes.
A trove of records obtained by Bronx Justice News is shedding new light on a series of unsolved 2007 murders and abductions, revealing previously unknown details about detectives’ pursuit of the killer or killers, the lives of the victims, and security lapses at Town Center at Boca Raton mall in the lead-up to the crimes.
The DOI probe, now officially underway, marks the first time a government agency has investigated the troubled courthouse on East 161st Street, which opened three years behind schedule, ran $100 million over budget, and spurred a host of lawsuits involving more than 30 parties, from architects and engineers to construction contractors and state agencies.
The state Dormitory Authority spent more than $400 million in taxpayer dollars to construct the Bronx Hall of Justice, but says it doesn’t know how much of that amount went toward building the property’s civic plaza—a sprawling, unused space that remains closed eleven years after its slated opening date.
In response to a Freedom of Information Law Request by Bronx Justice News, the state Dormitory Authority on Wednesday said it was still searching its records to determine how much taxpayer money it spent to construct the Bronx Hall of Justice—including its still-shuttered civic plaza.